Go to ...

Diary of a Wargames Butterfly

A gamer who refuses to leave any miniature behind

Diary of a Wargames Butterfly on Google+RSS Feed

December 17, 2017

Command and Colours Napoleonics

Yesterday I visited my good mate Mark for a game, as he wanted to show me Command and Colours. now I have to admit that I’ve never played any C&C game before (even though I have the Kickstarter version of The Great War) so I was looking forward to it.

Mark being a wargamer at heart decided to do away with the usual blocks players normally use and instead went for miniatures, using a dice to mark the strength of each unit. I’ve seen C&C being played with the blocks and it looks ok but Marks version was so much better.

here’s a couple of pictures of the game during setup

IMG_20160722_182746 IMG_20160722_182728

I’m not going to do a full review of the game as their are loads out there

however I really enjoyed the game, it was simple to pick up, fun to play and had some nice tactical mechanics in it. the card mechanism is really interesting and knowing when to use the cards is key to success

obviously I lost my game but it was very close with mark getting 6 victory points to my 5. Here’s some more pictures of the game in progress2016-07-22 18.53.19 2016-07-22 18.53.31 2016-07-22 18.53.39 2016-07-22 19.49.56 2016-07-22 19.50.08

For more information on this game go to Command and Colours homepage

Tags: ,

7 Responses “Command and Colours Napoleonics”

1. Commander Roj
    July 25, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Always been intrigued by the mechanics of this, but not enough to buy in, and we have never played it at the club. Besides, it has horses in it…

MikeH
      July 26, 2016 at 7:38 am

to be honest I felt the same, I always saw it as yet another boardgame that was trying to be a wargame, but I was really impressed by the mechanics.
      ok we played it using figures instead of blocks which visually helped, but that being said it was a solid game that could have gone either way.
      since playing this version I’ve picked up the Ancients version and will be testing that out later this week

2. Sigur
    July 26, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Same with me. On top of that, it’s an EXPENSIVE game.

Then, earlier this year, I played C&C Ancients and by some freak accident this is the game I played the most this year (along with Four Against Darkness. It’s a weird year.). It’s utterly brilliant. I haven’t played C&C Naps, but I take it works pretty much the same.

I considered getting it for not-wargames-friends use, but it’s 2 players only (unless you pay another 4 times the price or something like that and have huge games), which is a bit of a no-no in my non wargamey friends circles.

MikeH
      July 26, 2016 at 3:17 pm

its currently out of print but hopefully it’ll be reprinted soon and the prices will drop
      GMT do a 500 club (where people pledge to buy it once its produced) and the base game reprint is part of that process.
      funnily enough I’ve just brought the ancient version and hope to play it next week

• Sigur
        July 26, 2016 at 3:24 pm

I know, I saw the picture earlier on twitter. 😀

I really like Ancients gaming. I don’t do it very often or to many different sets of rules, but there is something very, very tidy, neat and technical about it. Probably because we know relatively little about it. So for me it works perfectly as a boardgame theme.

3. July 28, 2016 at 2:02 am

Looks great with the figures!

4. Commander Roj
    July 28, 2016 at 1:28 pm

I think we are all on the same page about this one. When is AY intrigued, I do mean intrigued, but can I bring myself to buy it? I have had the rules downloaded for a while on the I pad as the commander card system is inspiring.

I should clarify about the horses. I struggle to get excited about anything with horses in. I much prefer vehicles, which I can get excited about. I think that is one reason I have tended to steer clear of anything pre WW2.

Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com